Sunday, November 2, 2008

A visit to madhusaala..

My memories are precious to me. For that matter, everyone do cherish their memories for one reason or the other.But they have become important to me all the more, as I have got very few things to brag about so far in my life. Anyway, today is another such day that will become etched in my memory for eternity. Few years back I would have never thought that I could do such a thing like the one I did today. but I have no regrets whatsoever now.Thanks to some of my close friends- I tasted alcohol today! Isn't much of a big deal, right? I thought I would relish some great chicken dishes today and have some time, well spent with my friends.I got both + extra. My friends took care of my concern that i would be able to return home in good shape. So that was it-One small peg each of Royal stag and Smirnoff, with some Pepsi to add flavor! the 1st thing that i noticed as expected was the strong smell.
If I go by my life's history so far, I can simply be defined in two words- Late learner. Yes, almost every other thing, like learning to understand my mother tongue(didn't ever learn to write in it), learning to ride a bicycle, learning to be inquisitive about things around me , learning to do some things on my own etc etc..even learning to drink cold drinks came late to me. Well, I had Maaza and Frooti most of the time though! Actually I have to admit, I was never that sort of an adventurous guy who likes to try out new things all the time. I have been quite the opposite mostly.Thats the reason I only fell once while trying to learn riding the bicycle. My father was always right there behind me.How could I fall?! Every little thing was taken care of by my parents. How could I have become self-sufficient?! Thats an excuse may be on my part though. I never had that urge inside to learn a few things of my own.But I do have every right to blame mom and dad sometimes ;)
Anyway, coming to the cold drinks part, I only started trying pepsi or cola during 7th or 8th standard perhaps. After that I never ever had any thoughts of trying anything stronger than those things. Bacardi blast, Royal challenge and yeah Royal stag too, all were some kind of alien things too me.I was sure they were not made for me.In fact I thought they shouldn't exist at all at 1st place! Drinking alcohol is a sin- that's what I have been taught. But not anymore when you realize that nothing in this world is absolute.Absolutely nothing! Right or wrong-they are all what we perceive of them. Rest assured, this is the one thing i am lucky to have realized. So, the moment I tasted it I felt proud to have experienced yet another new thing in my life. And luckily for me that experience didn't turn out to be bad at all.My friend insisted to try once more, I agreed. If I had the option of not returning home tonight I would have tried more! But neither I could do so nor I should have. Some things are better kept within limits.
Anyway, I am still strong and steady.No reason why I shouldn't. Afterall, it was not all that strong and 2 pegs can't even put a child to sleep I guess! But I would forever be grateful to this few friends of mine who have added yet another reason to cherish friendship. It feels sad that it might turn out to be my last drink with one of them as he is parting ways with us in a few days. But it will be certainly recorded in my memory for the rest of my life as this is the only thing that never leaves us. Thank you mates, for this lovely little evening of 1st November 2008 at Olypub, Park street! :)

6 comments:

Tanmoy said...

Olypub reminds me of lot of personal memories too. I think even I had alcohol outside of any house / room at Olypub. It is reminiscent of bars that were quite common though surprisingly it is called a pub. Though I wish you keep alcohol to its limits because sometimes I have seen students mistake alcohol and smoking as independence rather than experience. I used to be one such student long back myself.

arnab said...

After living in kolkata for more than 5 years its only recently that I came to know that something called Olypub exists somewhere at park street! May be thats because of my 'don't care' attitude towards anything related to a pub or bar so far. Not anymore though.But yaa, i want it only to be a nice experience,not a mean to over-indulge in it.
Thanks for the advice anyway!

Unknown said...

Sir,the pleasure's been all mine!!!!It was a wonderful evening for all of us.......would cherish the memories all my life!![:)]And rest assured we will have many more of such evenings together-as panku had rightly said...."we part only to meet again".

arnab said...

yes,you r right my friend!!! the fact that u have shown the enthusiasm, will surely make us meet again.That day the wine will taste stronger and sweeter! Till then we all will miss u sorely. Take care soumya and keep in touch!

abir said...

finally u became a graduate that day....everything is life is new some day....we have to face it..willingly or unwillingly....but we shld have a control over it....well people may call me a drunk...but i know what i am...i want to celebrate any occasion...may be big or small....that day..was as such no eventful day....but it was a memorable day in my life....our last meeting together with our collage frnds..befor being parted in our own career...so it was a verry emotional moment for me....many will call me an emotional fool....but i like to enjoy these small small moments in life...which apparantly seems to be meaningless...but has great meaning to me...frnds r my only valuable assets...i dont want to loose them...every moment spent with them is like gold dust to me...tryinig to hold on to that...but with time...they r slipping out of the hands....its only memories that remain....aftersome day u will also leave kolkata...we will be in a new atmosphere starting our career...but i will never forget my frnds and the beautiful moments spent with them....also i want to appologise to arnab...i i have ever hurt ur feelings...i know...i made fun of u...and u didnt like that...I AM SORRY FOR THAT MY FRND...u r a gem as a frnd...hope that our frndship gorw longer and dont u ever forget to contact me...else i will kill u....[:P]...ha ha ha ha ha...jokes apart....contact rakhish bhai...

Arnab Roy said...

I have always believed abir,that misunderstanding is one of the main reasons why we get distanced from our close ones, including friends.No one can ever understand fully the emotions or the thought process going on in the mind of others ,no matter how close he/she is to them.And quite often we take these small altercations too seriously to break the bond completely! This applies to me too.We tend to have vague notions about our friends even when We hardly spend a few minutes in their company.Sometimes even less.
Don't be apologetic.You have realized your mistake.Thats more than enough!
R haa,contact to rakhboi bhai.Ojana jayegaye jaachi..bondhurai to ekhon bhorosa! :)