Friday, November 28, 2008

Where are we heading towards??



My heart bled.I felt like crying.But the tears wouldn't just flow, for I had made a so-called resolution quite some time back that I won't cry anymore as I had done so many times in the past. Boys just don't cry.In fact they must not cry! I don't fully know yet what makes me think like this but I so wished that just for a few moments, such thoughts didn't cross my mind.
I don't know what exactly to feel today when I see these pictures of blood, dead bodies, fire and above all, absolute terror everywhere,writ large on the faces of the victims and sympathizers at the very spot. I curse my luck, to have gone out of station yesterday, not having a single clue of what was happening outside my domain. I only got to know about all this only in the morning on a visit to a friend's house, and could only follow what had happened actually so far after I had returned home in the evening.Since then I have not been able to take off my eyes from the news channels for a second.Does anyone really care about all these except a handful??? If the most of us did, someone or the other could have talked about it with me on phone , just for the sake of it.Even if everyone feels for these 100 odd dead people today, I am not sure how much they will actually care about tomorrow! I have lost count of the no. of times we have been attacked this year. Just when I thought that it couldn't get any worse than this I have been proved totally wrong! I am simply short of ideas about how such an act of a gargantuan magnitude like this can go largely unnoticed. The militants have the so called sophisticated MP5s, large mag zines enabled for firing upto 300 bullets each, countless grenades and according to some, even rocket launchers!! Those people had come armed with even satellite phones which i don't think except a few, most of our forces have even heard of. And after all the mayhem has been enacted, the NSG forces arrive after 9 hours delay! Not before we had lost 2 of our valiant officers of the Mumbai police and the ATS chief.All we can do is 'salute' them or follow a minute of silence in their respect.Nothing more. These are the true leaders of the nation who acted fearlessly leading from the front and facing the bullets before their fellow soldiers! It was bound to happen because all that the government can provide our officers and soldiers is half sleeve non-bullet proof vests and a penetrable helmet. The government doesn't even care to look after the disparity of the pay-scales of our army men after the 6th pay commision review, and yet they expect them to fight hopelessly for us and our politicians, who can only think of the caste and creed of terror, Hindu or Islamic! Utter shame!!
I was really moved by the comments of some Mr. Sohail(whom I have seen many a times on screen but don't actually know who he is) on Times Now ,where he really poured his heart out.He rightly said that we are a bunch of hypocrites! We pretend to care today and forget everything tomorrow, unless one of our own relatives is one of the victims.We blame it on the people who are there for our security purpose and neglect their duties to do the same when all we should blame on, is the manner in which they are trained! Terrorism will always be there.It had always been here in some form or the other from the very beginning.But the way these terrorists plan the mode of their terror , we fail to replicate that in our own ways of POST-measures atleast if not counter measures. We still haven't learned the lessons surely.Someone said that the guards there at the hotel just ask people to show their identity and don't even bother to check the rear bonnets for a second.Why the hell do we expect then the terrorists to be caught at the very entrance possessing weapons? Where else would you see so much delay in organizing a well planned counter force within a short notice after the attacks? where else would you see a car going past you, slowing down at the right moment, with a terrorist in the back seat spraying bullets on you and just whiz past you the very next moment before you gather courage to look up again, laying there down to save yourself! Atleast I thought that these things used to happen only in the stupid Bollywood movies of old.I faced the reality today! Even the paramedics and ambulances are as late as ever.I feel roughly one-third of the people could have been saved so far in all the mishaps that befall upon us till date if proper medical help arrived just in time!
But again, who cares?? Most of us are busy watching the antics of the actors of big boss.The guy who got most of the attention till now was that cheap Rahul mahajan, the son of BJP spokesperson Mr. Pramod Mahajan who died just 2 years back. 'As father like son', seems to have no bearing on this fellow, who just doesn't care a bit about the worldly state of affairs,just jumping around the whole day around girls with his stupid theatrics.And the media just gorges on it thereby increasing the TRP of the show! How can the media stoop so low to give precious screen space to people like Rakhi sawant?! The more she makes her presence felt with some useless theatrics, the more the media gets attracted to her.How else can you explain the unavailibilty of real news for which the news channels came into being at 1st place! The INS stolt valor incident took nearly a month to come into forefront as an incident of concern, after Mrs Seema goyal's persistent efforts.It took a month more for the government to wake up and act for the release of the crew men.The 1999 Indian airlines hijack was brought back fresh again from the past memories! The men in power rarely care for its people. All they do care for is vote bank politics which we 'educated' lot seem to agree with, by succumbing to their ploys, and not choosing for ourselves what is right.We leave that decision to the lower middle cast and poor people to make, who hopelessly use their right of franchise.How many of us engage ourselves in some real social debate in our leisure time and form some opinion on a prevailing issue? well, we do form some.We fight for the farmers in Singur today.When the winds change, we totally disregard our previous stand and force the blame on the same person for whom we lend voices a fortnight back.Instead of balanced opinions we resort to biased ones.We only try to hide our mistakes by attaching ourselves to the presently favorable situations. We just don't want to admit our own stupid acts at any cost.
I am falling short of words now.I curse my luck at times about the control I have or lack of it, over things happening around me.But when I look up to see the misery around I get relieved of my own misery, which is nothing in comparison to the kind thousands of others face every moment.This might be an excuse to ignore my inability to make things happen. But whatever it is, it helps me gain my spirit again to stop ruing over mistakes which I can't rectify no matter how much I try.Life goes on, it has to. Just that it becomes at times seemingly impossible to carry on, for the people who lose their close ones unknowingly.I just hope against hope that the so-called notion of 'short memory' of the public gets erased so that we stand by the surviving victims long enough to help resurrect themselves.And for that we really need to shed a tear or two for the fellow citizens who are no more, those who don't matter to us practically but do so in actual reality!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have written so well ... it is really heart breaking to see such pettiness in everything from people (of a country) that are supposed to be the oldest living civilisation, culture that precedes every other culture, religion that was established for more that three thousand years before the next religion was born...
why have we become so petty ... we need to introspect...

Tanmoy said...

I shall share my email with you once I finalize it. I am trying to get a feel whether media is doing something about this thing. I will write only when the hysteria dies down a bit.

I tried the same before too on every terrorist attack from 2002 - in vain, for Nithari murders - in vain, Aarushi Talwar murders - in vain. Still I want to try.

As far as prominent people goes, that was a bit of sarcasm. I used to be part of free lance media in my youth, I shall write to some such people and also some of the editors of news channels.

I don't think anything would happen and anyone would respond but it shall calm me a bit. Lighting candles unfortunately does not.

abir said...

our badluck is that...we r the common people of India.here common people like us dont have any security.....still we r paying taxes....and still xpecting that the govt will provide secuirty for us....when ever any incident happend...the security personel arrive as usual late....even when they arrive...the situation becomes so critical that they can do nothing but to remove the bodies of the dead and wounded...i am fed up with this....these morons..they dont even care for us...these politicians...who r so called leaders of the nation....well during the attack at the taj...some were seen to flee with their asses on fire....its common people like u and me...and those brave personels of taj and oberoi...who risked their own lives and saved the lives of many....the GM of taj lost his family...but still didnt left his duty...these r men of honour...officers like hemant karkare,vijay salaskar,ashoke kamte...they led from the front...and faced their nemesis face to face....they challenged those heavuly armed terrorist with their low capacity ammos...but still they had the courage to fight them...and leading from the fornt they faced death....before there colleagues....18 brave men of mumbai police loast their lives...just for nothing i guess...we will forget this after a few days...we will be son engrossed in our daily lives...we will forget everything...perhaps this is the nature of common people...we dont stand up...unless some dear ones of us...r victims of terrorism....but now its time for us...to stand up united...withot any polictical banner....and say..."to hell with the polititians.."...we dont need a bunch of morons to lead us...who just sits in their ac office surrounded by guards...and care a least for us...they only care for money and votes...thats it...bunch of idiots....i finally want to salute all those brave men who laid down their lives...while saving our mumbai...from the hands of those terrorists.....I SALUTE THEM FORM THE CORE OF MY HEART...I WILL NEVER FORGET THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS IN OUR LIFE....just to make our life terror free and smooth these gallant men gave their lives...in the line of duty.....and still when they seek a better slaray better remunaration....bunch of policticians morons...they raised their eye brows and fight in the parliament in order to prevent that....thse people caanot just flee away by giving resignation.....some legal steps should be taken against them...in order to remind them of their responsibility.....SO BROTHERS AND FELLOW CONTRYMEN...WE SHOULD STAND TOGETHER AND FIGHT AGAINST TERROR....WE HAVE TO SHOW THEM THAT WE R NOT AFRAID OF TERRORIST AND THEIR COWARDLY ACTS...WE R UNITED...JAI HIND...